The course is an intensive introduction to the principles, methods and practicalities of the design and execution of sample surveys in social investigations It covers the formulation of the research question, strategies and methods of survey data collection, sampling, measurement, questionnaire design, attitude measurement, non-sampling errors and non-response. The EU surveys on Family Budget, Labour Force and Statistics on Income and Living Conditions as well as the European Social Survey are briefly presented and discussed.
Furthermore, the course provides an introduction to qualitative research methodology and the idea that quantitative and qualitative research methods are supplementary, depending on the specific issue under investigation.
Evaluation: Written exam.
- Babbie, E.R., Halley, F. & Zaino, J., 2000. Adventures in Social Research. 4th ed. London: Sage.
- Mason, J. 2002. Qualitative Researching. 2nd ed.London: Sage.
- Miles, M. B.., & Huberman, A. M, 1984. Qualitative Data Analysis: A Sourcebook of New Methods.London: Sage.
- Moser, C. & Kalton, G.,1972. Survey Methods in Social Investigation.2nd ed. London: Heinemann Educational Books.
- Patton, M.Q., 2002. Qualitative Research and Evaluation Methods. 2nd ed. London: Sage.
- Robson, C., 2002. Real World Research.2nd ed. Oxford: Blackwell.