The course aims at highlighting how demographic trends are related to social policy issues. Topics covered include sources of information and use of demographic data; methods of description and analysis of demographic phenomena (fertility, mortality, and migration); the determinants of age structure; the interpretation of demographic statistics. Socio-economic impact of demographic shifts is also examined with emphasis to labour market, pensions, health and education. Moreover, the role of population trends and prospects as potential inputs for social policy measures is studied.
Evaluation: Written essay
- Dykstra, P., Grundy, E. Fokkema, T. et al. 2009. Health and well-being at older ages: The interlinkage with family life histories, gender, and national contexts. Final report prepared in the context of the MAGGIE (Major Ageing and Gender Issues in Europe) research project, 45 p. (http://www.nidi.nl/shared/content/output/2009/maggie-2009-final-report.pdf/view).
- European Commission, 2015a. Demography Report.
- European Commission, 2015b. The 2015 Ageing Report. European Economy no. 3.
- European Commission, 2013. Evidence on Demographic and Social Trends. Social Policies' Contribution to Inclusion, Employment and the Economy. Brussels, 20.2.2013, SWD(2013) 38 final, 49 p.
- Bagavos, C. 2012. Health Status of the Population of Greece: Life and Health Expectancies. Institute of Labour Editions, Athens, Studies Series 20, 68 p., (in Greek).
- Bagavos, C. 2003. Demographic Shifts, Labour Market and Pensions in Greece and the European Union, Gutenberg Editions, Athens, 406 p., (in Greek, with a 30-page summary in English).
- Tapinos, G. Ph., 2002. Demography. Volos: University of Thessaly Editions, 240 p., (in Greek).
- Tragaki, A., Bagavos, C. and Ntounas, D. 2015. Demography and Populations Trends. e-book, 295 σελ.(in Greek). https://repository.kallipos.gr/handle/11419/4670
- Robolis, S. And Betsis, V. 2016. The Odyssey of Pension System. Disruption, intergenerational conflict and one solution. Η οδύσσεια του ασφαλιστικού. Αποδιάρθρωση, σύγκρουση των γενεών και μία λύση. Athens: Livanis, 240 p. (in Greek).
- United Nations, Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division (2013). World Population Ageing. http://www.un.org/en/development/desa/population/publications/pdf/ageing/WorldPopulationAgeing2013.pdf.